Cityscapes






"Moon Over Montelbaan"

18" x 24"
acrylic on canvas
by Craig Willms
2022

Original photo from my wife's first trip to Amsterdam










"Venice"

24" X 30"
acrylic on canvas
by Craig Willms
2016

A commission by my older brother who made many trips to Europe during his career and on holiday. He snapped this stunning source photo for this painting of Venice. This scene is the Grand Canal which is one of the major water-traffic corridors in the city where one can avail of transportation modes like these water buses called vaporetti and private water taxis. After spending a dozen hours on this painting I feel as if I've been there.







"Reggio Calabria"

36" X 48"
acrylic on canvas
by Craig Willms
2016






"Times Square"

24" X 30"
acrylic on canvas
by Craig Willms
2010

A photo taken by a friend at work in 2009 had me instantly drawn to the colors and the multi-point perspectives. The other thing I liked was the aspect that this is a moment in history with its timeless commercial icons and the in-the-moment Broadway productions being advertised. A tremendously satisfying painting for me.

Source photo by S. Oakland



Times Square (detail)



































Times Square (detail)




















"One Morning In Mytilini"
22" x 30"
(acrylic)
2007
by
Craig Willms

"A traditional style fishing troller, just returned from a typical all-night fishing expedition, is moored in Mytilini harbor on Lesvos Island, Greece . In the background, the distinctive old Great Brittania hotel."

Artist Notes: This was one of the most painstaking and satisfying paintings I have ever attempted. I just happened across a photo of this scene at greece.org and it just drew me in. I have subsequently found the same photo on several travel websites, apparently it is rather famous...





"San Pietro at Dusk"
20 X 24 (acrylic)
2008
by
Craig Willms

notes: This was commissioned by my daughter who received this image on a post card from a friend who was visiting Italy. The original photo was taken by Sesto Fiorentino







"Hydra"

18 x 24 acrylic
2009
by Craig Willms
(click on the picture for a larger view)

This was commissioned by a dear, dear friend. A hillside city on the Greek island Hydra. The subject matter has a very cool abstract quality to it. It was inspired by a Georges Meis photo.
I hope you enjoy.